The Asian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) has advised the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations not to accept any further personnel from Bangladesh until certain steps are taken to protect the lives and fundamental rights of Bangladeshis in their own country against the abuses of state officers there. As an interim measure it has submitted to the department a short list of officers’ names whom it has identified from cases in this report (Lawless law-enforcement & the parody of judiciary in Bangladesh, article 2, vol. 5, no. 3, August 2006) and other sources as being responsible for gross human rights abuses. It has asked that none of these men be sent for any peacekeeping operations now or in the future, unless they are cleared of wrongdoing through full and independent court hearings. It has also asked that the UN check records to determine if any have previously served in UN missions.
The alleged perpetrators whose names have been submitted to the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations are as follows:
1. Director General Md. Abdul Aziz Sarkar & Additional Director General Md. Mahbubul Alam Mollah, RAB HQ: Who as chief and deputy chief of the RAB have command responsibility for all gross violations that their subordinates have committed. The director general has served in the UN missions in Yugoslavia and Kosovo, his deputy in the Iraq-Kuwait mission.
2. Lieutenant Colonel Muhammed Badrul Ahsan, Commanding Officer of RAB-4: For the alleged extrajudicial killing of Md. Madudur Rahman (story 17). The commander has served in the UN mission to Sierra Leone.
3. Lieutenant Colonel Farhad Ahmed, Commanding Officer of RAB-3: For the alleged extrajudicial killing of Abul Kalam Azad Sumon in a field at Rampura Banosri residential area under the Khilgaon police station, Dhaka late at night on 31 May 2005. RAB-3 alleged that the victim had six criminal cases against him at police stations around Dhaka. When investigated, the allegation was found to be false. The commander has served as a UN military observer in Iraq.
4. Major Shahin, commander of RAB Jessore, under command of RAB-6 Khulna district headquarters, Lieutenant Colonel Mohammed Shamsul Huda: For the alleged extrajudicial killing of Harun-ur-Rashid and Aslam Hossein (story 3) and torture of Kishore Kumar Das (story 2). RAB-6 is listed as having the highest number of “crossfire” deaths by RAB statistics: 80 out of the total 283 recorded as of July 2006.
5. Additional Deputy Inspector General of Police Mazharul Haque & Deputy Commissioner of Police Kohinur Mian of the Dhaka Metropolitan Police: For allegedly ordering the assault and torture of Shahin Sultana Santa (story 16).
6. Assistant Commissioner of Police (Supply) Enamul Kabir & Deputy Commissioner of Police Ali Akbar Khan of the Chittagong Metropolitan Police: For their role in the brutal assault on journalists at the Chittagong cricket stadium (story 14).
7. Deputy Commissioner of Police Nurul Islam & Superintendent of Police Rezaul Karim of Chapainawabganj district police & Police Inspector Sahabudding Khalifa, officer in charge of Shibganj police station in the same district: For their roles in the killing of at least 20 persons and wounding of around 200 others (story 20).
8. Superintendent of Police Fazlur Rahman, commanding officer of the Satkhira district police: For his alleged role in the assault of Rashida Khatun (story 9).
9. Assistant Superintendent of Police Mohammed Mizanur Rahman, Police Inspector Sheikh Jillur Rahman, Sub Inspector Motiar Rahman & Assistant Sub Inspectors Khalilur Rahman & Nazma Aktar Sukhi of Barisal district central police station: For the alleged torture of Imon Chowdhury (story 25).
10. Assistant Superintendent of Police Ashraf of RAB-1, Dhaka, under command of Lieutenant Colonel Asif Ahmed Ansari: For the alleged torture of Sk. Abubakkar sultan Bitan at Jasimuddin road, Uttara Sector-7 in Dhaka and the RAB-1 office at Uttara, Dhaka on 15 July 2005; case recorded by the UN Special Rapporteur on the question of torture (E/CN.4/2006/6/Add.1, no. 10; no reply from government). The RAB-1 Commanding Officer has served as Operations Officer and Public Information Officer at the UN peacekeeping headquarters in Mozambique. (AHRC UA-126-2005)
11. Police Inspector Ratan Krishna Nath & Sub Inspector Belal Hossain of Mohonpur police station, Rajshahi district: For the alleged torture of Deraj Ali & Abul Kalam Azad (story 10).
12. Police Inspector Nur Alam & Sub Inspector Abu Yusuf of Gaibandha district central police station: For the alleged extrajudicial killing of Sajedur Rahman Sajid (story 11).
13. Police Inspector Abdul Malek of the Gangni police station, Meherpur district, under the command of Assistant Commissioner of Police Monwar Hossain: For the assault and wounding of dozens of villagers (story 21).
14. Police Inspector Chowdhury Tarikul Alam, officer in charge of Khilgaon police station, Dhaka Metropolitan Police: For the alleged assault of Mohammed Abul Kashem Gazi (story 28).
15. Police Inspectors Mohammed Ishaque & Sakhawat, together with Sub Inspectors Abdul Hai, Alamgir, Sha Alam and Hakim of RAB-7 in Potenga, Chittagong district: For the alleged torture of Sha Newaz Tito, Munir Hossain Talukdar and Ziaul Alam Dipu in the Agrabad area of Chittagong on 4 August 2004, resulting in the death of Sha Newaz on August 6. (AHRC UA-108-2004)
16. Police Sub Inspector Abdul Mannan of Bishnupur police camp under Damurhuda police station, Chuadanga district, under the command of Superintendent Mohammed Muslim: For the alleged torture of Inarul Islam Ena (story 5).
17. Police Sub Inspector Mokhlesur Rahman of Savar police station, Dhaka Metropolitan Police: For the alleged extrajudicial killing of Nayan Banu, for which he may or may not be facing criminal action (story 6)
18. Police Sub Inspector Abdul Hakim & Assistant Sub Inspector Nuruzzaman of Rajarhat police station, Kurigram district, under command of Assistant Superintendent of Police Kazi Foyzul Hossain: For the alleged extrajudicial killing of Kasim Uddin (story 8).
19. Police Sub Inspector Abdus Samad of Paikgachha police station, Khulna district: For the alleged assault of Anjuman Ara Parvin, Anwara Begum, Mostafa Sardar & Khairul Sardar (story 13).
20. Police Sub Inspector Nurul Islam of the Kutia district police: For his part in the shooting deaths of Ratan, Azam & Mizanur Rahman and injuries to 16 others (story 24).
21. Police Sub Inspectors Ismail & Shawkat of the Civil Team, Mohammadpur police station, Dhaka Metropolitan Police: For the alleged torture and extrajudicial killing of Shafi Uddin Shafi (story 27).
22. Police Sub Inspector Atiar Rahman of the Lalbag police station, Dhaka Metropolitan Police: For the alleged assault of Rozina & Imran Begum (story 29).
23. Police Sub Inspectors Hafizur & Netai of the Boalia police station, Rajshahi district: For the alleged torture of Azizur Rahman Shohel & Atiquer Rahman Jewel (story 31).